Sundown Audio SA 12 | Sundown Audio SA Series V2 12 inch subwoofer
SA v.2 12 Dual 4 ohm adds 1000w rms to the power rating!
Since 2009, the Sundown SA series has been our most popular line. What better way to make a new version 2 than to upgrade everything? Using a larger, more powerful motor, Sundown Audio maintains the perfect balance of the original SA series while increasing the power handling to 1000-watts RMS.
Sundown Audio SA 12 Version 2 Specs & TS:
|T/S SPECS||SAv2 12″ D2||SAv2 12″ D4|
|Sens (dB @ 1w/1m)||86.59||85.03|
|Sealed Enclosure||1.0 cu ft|
|Ported Enclosure||1.75 cu ft|
|Recommended Port Area||26 sq in|
Sundown Audio SA series 12 Subwoofer History
Sundown Audio began with a FEA optimized motor & coil design capable of 19mm of one-way linear excursion by 70% BL and just over 35mm of x-mech. An extremely robust double-layer spider with fully tied-on & doubled-up "XL" tinsel leads (84-strands of conductor per lead) was mated up to the motor and coil setup, with a competition paper cone and a strong foam surround. The motor also has a large ID shorting ring (faraday ring) to reduce distortion caused by inductance & inductance variations over stroke.
From the original SA series, the voice coil cooling system was improved by Sundown. Using this system, our 2.75′′ coil is able to match and exceed the thermal performance of many competing 3′′ coil drivers on the market without requiring the use of a much heavier voice coil than is needed by the design. The SA series is characterized by the perfect balance between motor force and mass. With extensive testing and optimization, we have maintained that delicate balance in the v.2.
After that, Sundown Audio borrowed the new frame, aluminum surround clamps, and aluminum vent rings that we created for the U-Series to further enhance the SA's performance and reliability. You can think of it as the little brother of the U Series at this point.
If you still prefer the original, legendary SA series, we have re-launched it as the "Classic" and it will be produced in tens and twelves.
This 18-inch model features a larger motor than the SA-10/12/15 v2 at a full 205mm diameter and a 60mm magnet stack height. The top plate is also thicker in order to more effectively move the higher mass 18″ soft parts. It has a large 234mm diameter spider pack for very high mechanical stroke capacity. It utilizes the same 2.75″ coil as the other SA v.2 series for a 1000-watt RMS power rating.
List of upgrades compared to the v1 SA series (Rev.1,2,3):
1) Magnet outer diameter increased from 180mm to 190mm
2) Magnet slugs increased from 25mm to 27mm in height (total 4mm more height)
3) Motor structure fully bolted together with 3x M6 bolts (eliminates the possibility of motor shifting)
4) Top-Plate “Slits” implemented as with the X and Z series. Increased cooling & reduced distortion.
5) Improved gap venting — more / flared gap vents.
6) Improve pole-vent design — smoothly flared on both sides.
7) Coil increased from 63.5mm (2.5″) to 70mm (2.75″) in diameter. Higher thermal capacity.
8) New “U series” style cast-aluminum frame for taller cones (more x-mech both top-side from cone to spider and bottom from spider to top plate)
9) Aluminum cast gasket to bolt-on surround.
10) Aluminum cast vent ring to enhance thermal transfer from the motor to the frame.
11) Standard with double “XL” leads and “bolted-on” spider
12) Larger and thicker surround (same tooling as U series).
13) Strongest paper cones we have ever produced… new two-piece mold technique.
14) “Large Flange” dust cap just like our larger woofers. Essentially eliminates dust-cap glue failure.
15) Larger spider diameter on the 12/15″ models (the 10″ retains the same 188mm spider)… 12″ up to ~200mm and 15″ up to ~210mm
16) Improved spider material for longer life.
13 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Some of the best subs I’ve heard period, especially for the price. Only 12 I’ve heard come close is a $1000 DD, but I would gladly put these up against them. Have two hooked up to a JP23 and it shakes my whole Silverado. Not only is it loud, but very punchy, and quality is great. Shipping was very fast also!! Can’t go wrong !
Best sub ive have heard for the price! Definitely dont regret getting this thing.
I bought a pair of these subs and paired them with the sundown sfb 2k amp in my 13 ram 2500. They get loud and low. I think they can hand more power but the 2k does push them well enough for now. Shipping was fast and I received exactly what I ordered
Awesome product. They have a solid sound, I love them. I know I will keep going up.
Coming from a jl 12w7.. I gotta say the SQ of this sub is awesome and it gets very loud. It exceeded my expectations. I couldn't be more be pleased and especially for the price! Shit bangs harder than my landlord at my door when I haven't paid rent in months
I bought these about 6 months ago and I couldn’t be happier with my purchase! JP and me talked it out over messenger about shipping and everything came well packaged! These things slam on the lows and have a decent bandwidth to play with upgraded my box afterwords and they handle power well and got my whole car shaking down the block! If you get these subs invest some time getting rattles out of your car and buying some good sound deadener with a good amp and you’ll be impressed!
My very 1st Sundown subs and aside from being surprised how loud it is, I am amazed how they handle the power easily. 1000rms sub but I am running 2 of these in a smart3 amp tuned to 75v(ac) and they handle them easily. Didn't expect them to play lows around 14hz but they can still produce the sounds around that note in my 6th order bandpass box.
These are my 1st Sundown Products so far and I must say I was VERY impressed w them..much nicer / bigger in person than pics show, also D4S / JP shipped super fast and has been extremely helpful w any questions I have had, awesome shop, cool owner, door ass sub's ~ my review