Sundown Audio SA 18 D2 | Sundown Audio 18
SA v.2 18 Dual 2 ohm | 1000w RMS Version 2 Subwoofer
Since 2009, the Sundown SA series has been our most popular line. What better way to make a new version 2 than to upgrade everything? Using a larger, more powerful motor, Sundown Audio maintains the perfect balance of the original SA series while increasing the power handling to 1000-watts RMS.
Sundown Audio SA 18 Version 2 Specs & TS:
- Xmax = 19mm one-way by 70% BL
- RMS Power = 1000-watts
- Vented magnetic gap
- Optimized high-velocity pole vent
- Innovative high-velocity vented frame spacer ring
- Black Aluminum 2.75” voice coil former for superior heat dissipation
- High-Temperature copper voice coil wire
- Large aluminum faraday ring (Magnet ID)
- Spring Loaded Terminals
- Stitched-On Double “XL” Tinsel Leads to prevent fatigue and failure
- High strength cast aluminum frame
- Optimized for small ported, sealed, & band-pass enclosures
Sundown Audio SA series 18 Subwoofer History
Sundown Audio began with a FEA optimized motor & coil design capable of 19mm of one-way linear excursion by 70% BL and just over 35mm of x-mech. An extremely robust double-layer spider with fully tied-on & doubled-up "XL" tinsel leads (84-strands of conductor per lead) was mated up to the motor and coil setup, with a competition paper cone and a strong foam surround. The motor also has a large ID shorting ring (faraday ring) to reduce distortion caused by inductance & inductance variations over stroke.
From the original SA series, the voice coil cooling system was improved by Sundown. Using this system, our 2.75′′ coil is able to match and exceed the thermal performance of many competing 3′′ coil drivers on the market without requiring the use of a much heavier voice coil than is needed by the design. The SA series is characterized by the perfect balance between motor force and mass. With extensive testing and optimization, we have maintained that delicate balance in the v.2.
After that, Sundown Audio borrowed the new frame, aluminum surround clamps, and aluminum vent rings that we created for the U-Series to further enhance the SA's performance and reliability. You can think of it as the little brother of the U Series at this point.
If you still prefer the original, legendary SA series, we have re-launched it as the "Classic" and it will be produced ONLY in tens and twelves.
This 18-inch model features a larger motor than the SA-10/12/15 v2 at a full 205mm diameter and a 60mm magnet stack height. The top plate is also thicker in order to more effectively move the higher mass 18″ soft parts. It has a large 234mm diameter spider pack for very high mechanical stroke capacity. It utilizes the same 2.75″ coil as the other SA v.2 series for a 1000-watt RMS power rating.
List of upgrades compared to the v1 SA series (Rev.1,2,3):
1) Magnet outer diameter increased from 180mm to 190mm
2) Magnet slugs increased from 25mm to 27mm in height (total 4mm more height)
3) Motor structure fully bolted together with 3x M6 bolts (eliminates the possibility of motor shifting)
4) Top-Plate “Slits” implemented as with the X and Z series. Increased cooling & reduced distortion.
5) Improved gap venting — more / flared gap vents.
6) Improve pole-vent design — smoothly flared on both sides.
7) Coil increased from 63.5mm (2.5″) to 70mm (2.75″) in diameter. Higher thermal capacity.
8) New “U series” style cast-aluminum frame for taller cones (more x-mech both top-side from cone to spider and bottom from spider to top plate)
9) Aluminum cast gasket to bolt-on surround.
10) Aluminum cast vent ring to enhance thermal transfer from the motor to the frame.
11) Standard with double “XL” leads and “bolted-on” spider
12) Larger and thicker surround (same tooling as U series).
13) Strongest paper cones we have ever produced… new two-piece mold technique.
14) “Large Flange” dust cap just like our larger woofers. Essentially eliminates dust-cap glue failure.
15) Larger spider diameter on the 12/15″ models (the 10″ retains the same 188mm spider)… 12″ up to ~200mm and 15″ up to ~210mm
16) Improved spider material for longer life.